Saturday, June 14, 2014

3ProngEngine Update - Preliminaries done, now for some more fun stuff

Just about a minute ago I pushed another change to the 3ProngEngine repo. With the change comes with it optimizations to the physics module, enemy mechanics, and in game object mechanics (inanimate objects that is). It is so exciting! I am getting closer to having a full fledged usable engine that I can adapt for a lot of awesome games.

I have been planning this change for a very long time, but with school and exams during this time it has been hard to really sit down and code. I was free today so I just sat down and started programming. I did have a plan so everything went very smoothly, but it is just such a relief to have it done.

There aren't many visual changes yet, it still looks as it did in my previous post. There is however a new amber square that represents the inanimate pushable objects in rect mode, but that isn't really too exciting. All the changes are mainly backend, I am starting to gear my programming toward making it easier for other people to add modules, and get things done, instead of just myself so that was also a part of this change.

The next step in development is to get all the animations situated. Working with the JSON configs for each object. That is going to be a tricky part, but once it is done adding sprites is going to be so much easier. In the next update I hope to also add some support for text on the screen, that is a must in any game obviously so it is on my to do list.

I have also been thinking about adding support for main menu screen and all that stuff.... but I digress, I am starting to ramble because all of a sudden I am getting a rush of thoughts through my head.

One final thing, as I start adding support for images and all that I hope to start developing the game that persuaded me into creating this engine again. I will have to remake it from scratch using 3PE but that was the whole point... with that will come many pictures and hopefully some videos as well .

The future is looking awesome, and with summer vacation just around the corner I am expecting to get a lot done!

Until next time, thanks for reading.

- Frankie

No comments:

Post a Comment